Delicious cake recipe with a sweet whipped cream icing and fresh berries. A dessert to impress!
12 to 16 servings
- 8 eggs, separated
- 3 cups (750 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated lemon zest
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) baking powder
- 1 container (237 mL) Québon milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) 35% M.F. Québon Ultra’cream Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon extract (optional)
- 2 to 3 cups (500 to 750 mL) fresh mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C).
- Grease three spring-form pans: one 10” (25 cm), one 7” (17.5 cm), and one 5” (12.5 cm) in diameter.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until soft peaks are formed.
- Add the sugar and whip until the mixture forms soft peaks again.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time and lemon peel while beating.
- At low speed, add the flour mixed with the baking powder alternately with the milk and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the three pans so that all cakes have the same height once baked.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes for the small pan, 45 minutes for the medium one and 50 minutes for the large one or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each pan comes out clean and the cakes come off the sides of the pan.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pans.
- In a bowl, whip the cream with the icing sugar and lemon extract.
- Spread some of the whipped cream on top of the largest cake and set the medium one on top, letting the whipped cream fall over the edges.
- Repeat the same steps with the smallest cake.
- Decorate with berries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Spring-form pans of various sizes can easily be found in dollar stores or specialized boutiques.