A classic and tasty recipe of cream of tomato with fresh basil. Perfectly creamy and made with real cream for a rich bowl of flavor.
4 to 8 servings
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 60 mL (¼ cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 L (4 cups) of 5% M.F. or 10% M.F. Québon Ultra’Cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh oregano, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups (750 ml) fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (796 ml/28 oz) diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) fresh basil, chopped
- 60 mL (¼ cup) 35% M.F. Country Style Québon Ultra’cream
- In saucepan, melt butter in hot oil on medium heat; add onions and garlic and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour for 2 minutes.
- Add 5 or 10 % cream while stirring constantly, then add oregano, bay leaves and sugar.
- Season and let simmer on low heat until thickened.
- Add tomatoes and leave to simmer another 5 minutes, stirring over medium heat.
- Take off heat, remove bay leaves.
- Mix with electric mixer and reheat as needed.
- Add fresh basil. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with Country Style Cream. Serve.